CalVet Home Loans SERVING CALIFORNIA ONLY.
CalVet Home Loan Eligibility
All veterans who served on active duty a minimum of 90 days (not including active duty for training purposes only), whether during wartime or peacetime periods are eligible. Eligibility requires service under honorable conditions. There are no prior residency rules--a veteran may have entered service from outside California. NG or reservists who have been ordered to active duty, including Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) duty are eligible.
You will need a copy of your DD 214 (Release from Active Duty) to confirm that you have qualifying service. If you do not have a copy, obtaining one is easier than ever. Once you have searched your personal records and determine that you no longer have a copy there are several things you can do. In the past veterans were advised to have their DD214 recorded in the county they went home to after their release. If you did that, contact the county recorder and you should be able to get a copy there. If you used a DD214 to apply for other benefits, such as educational or medical, that agency may be able to give you a copy.
I can assist in ordering your DD 214 online and have it within a week.
If neither of these ideas work, the fastest way to obtain a copy is through the National Archives, National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) on their website at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/. They are the records custodian for most discharged and retired members of all branches of service. Expect a two to three week wait to receive your record, but ordering online may speed up the process.
If you do not have internet access you can order a copy by mailing or faxing a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63132, Fax Number 314-801-9195. The SF-180 form may be obtained by fax from the NPRC by calling (301) 837-0990 from a fax machine - follow their directions and request document number 2255.
If you are currently serving on active duty you are also eligible after you meet the 90 days service requirement. Obtain a Statement of Service from your Commanding Officer, Adjutant, or Personnel Officer.
Current members of the National Guard or Reserves whose only active duty was for training purposes and who are first time homebuyers or purchase properties in certain target areas are eligible after one year of service with a total six year service commitment.
CalVet can begin processing your loan without the DD214, and we may be able to confirm your dates of service directly through USDVA. If you have any questions about eligibility or need assistance, contact us. if you are currently serving on regular active duty, you are eligible.
Eligibility for VA Benefits
You may be eligible for VA benefits if you are a:
- Veteran, Veteran's dependent
- Surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased Veteran
- Uniformed service member
- Present or former reservist or National Guard member
How to Apply for VA Benefits
VA has several ways to apply for your benefits depending on your category and status. Call us to go over your options.
Sheryl Arndt - Navy Veteran 760-486-4225
Get a Great Loan Value!
If you are a veteran and want a great home loan, then you need a CalVet Home Loan. You'll find the CalVet Loan will save you money and provide protection for your home and investment. CalVet has expanded eligibility so that most veterans (including those now on active duty) wanting to buy a home in California are eligible, subject to financial qualification and available bond funds (See restrictions for peacetime-era veterans).
The good news about CalVet is the money you'll save with our low interest rates, low down payment and easier qualification. Compare it with other loans, and you'll see why CalVet is the loan of choice for veterans.
You and your family will benefit from this great loan from day one! It is the State of California's way of saying "thanks" for what you gave to your country through your military service. Best of all, this program is available to you at no cost to California taxpayers. Just look at some of the great features of the CalVet loan:
- Low interest rate
- Even lower rate for qualified first time home buyers
- Low or no Down Payment
- Loans up to $521,250
- Subsequent eligibility - Use the loan again
- Home and loan protection plans
- Home Improvement Loans
Interest rates for new loans are reviewed frequently. Interest rates are subject to change without notice. Current rates are posted in this website. Your rate is "locked in" as of the date you apply, and if rates are reduced while your loan is being processed you will receive the benefit of the lower rate. Call us for up-to-date information.
Low Down Payment
Keep your out-of-pocket investment minimal with our low down payment requirement. CalVet Home Loans are available for up to $521,250 with no down payment if you are eligible for a loan guaranty from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet/VA), or with a down payment of just 3% of the purchase price for our CalVet97 program.
Maximum Loans up to $521,250
Our loan maximum works well in nearly every California market. The loan maximum for regular properties is $521,250; up to $175,000 for mobile homes in rental parks. First-time homebuyer loans have lower purchase price limits in some counties. Contact us for more information.
With the CalVet/VA loan we obtain the guaranty from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. On other loans we may purchase private mortgage insurance. In all cases a loan funding fee of between 1.25% and 3.30% of the loan amount will be charged.. Under certain circumstances the fee may be added to the loan amount. This is a one-time fee, and will not affect your interest rate or monthly installment unless it is financed in the loan. You will also be charged a loan origination fee (common with most loans) of one percent of the loan amount. This fee must be paid in escrow.
Have you been shopping for a home, only to be advised by your agent that you should be "pre-approved" so you know how much of a house you should shop for? Your may receive a pre-approval with a phone call and a few dozen questions.
If you haven't checked into CalVet lately, you'll be pleased to know that the eligibility has been expanded. Most veterans planning to buy a home in California are eligible -- there is no prior residency requirement. Eligible veterans must meet federal rules regarding the use of the bond funds. CalVet has several bond fund sources for veterans who served during a wartime era, regardless of when they served. Veterans whose service was during peacetime are eligible, but must meet the requirements for use of Revenue Bonds funds. Peacetime-era veterans must be first-time homebuyers and meet income and purchase price limitations. Contact your local CalVet office to determine your eligibility and funding status. Veterans must have received a discharge under honorable conditions, and provide a copy of their DD-214 or release from active duty. If you are currently serving on active duty, you can provide a Statement of Service to verify your qualifying dates and character of service.
You may obtain a new CalVet loan each time you decide to change your residence -- it may be used again and again. Once the previous loan has been paid off, you may obtain a new loan with the current features, subject to eligibility and financial qualification.
Home and Loan Protection Plans
In an effort to ensure that your investment is safe and sound, CalVet provides comprehensive protection for you and your family. However, this is another area where you deserve the best. No other lender offers you protection against natural disasters like CalVet. While thousands of Californians have lost everything in natural disasters like floods and earthquakes, CalVet loan holders have full guaranteed replacement cost coverage for their home, keeping disaster in check. You'll be fully protected against floods and earthquake damage with your CalVet financed home. CalVet's deductible is a low $500 on flood claims, and $500 or 5% of the coverable loss (whichever is greater) on earthquake and mudslide claims. Should disaster strike, you'll be on your way to recovery in days, and at a considerable savings over the costs associated with private policies.
Most loans also include fire and hazard insurance coverage. You will have guaranteed replacement cost coverage on the home, with low premiums and a $250 deductible. But this still isn't all! With the CalVet loan you'll receive limited guaranteed life insurance in an amount to make the principal and interest payments for one to five years, depending on your health status at the time you obtain the loan. Optional coverage is offered by the insurance carrier including additional life insurance for the veteran, life insurance for the spouse, and disability insurance. Applicants must be under the age of 62 when their loan is funded to receive the life insurance coverage.
You may process your loan through the local CalVet office or with a certified mortgage broker. CalVet will assist you and your real estate agent each step of the way. Your agent or broker may coordinate the entire process with CalVet, just as they would do with loans from other lenders. Loan processing functions have been centralized to provide consistent and timely processing. We are now closing most loans within 30 days from receipt of the application.
Save Money with CalVet
Wouldn't you rather have lower payments and more money going into your pocket each month? Call today for more information on obtaining a CalVet loan, or for information on other benefits you may have as a veteran.
CalVet Contruction Loan Pre-qualify CalVet Loan Application
CONSTRUCTION LOAN INFORMATION SHEET
1. Loan funds may only be used to construct detached, single family residences (no townhouses or condominiums) and to install manufactured housing (constructed off site) on land owned or to be owned by the veteran. Mobile homes in rental parks do not qualify. The following are qualifying improvements: Dwelling; garage (attached or detached); pump house; on-site well/water systems; on-site sewer/septic systems; flatwork (walks, driveway); porches/patios; barns; workshops; pools; spas; retaining walls; fencing suitable for the residence and appurtenant structures; landscaping; any other permanent improvements necessary for health, safety, energy efficiency or dwelling integrity. Improvements which are not acceptable include: Personal property, including unaffixed or removable interior or exterior window coverings. The department will determine acceptability or unacceptability of improvements.
2. Cal-Vet may advance funds for purchase of the land as well as for construction of the dwelling and improvements. Qualifying sites include undeveloped sites/acreage, lots in subdivision developments, and lots in non-profit, "self-help" developments. Legal title to the property must be transferred to the department. Cal-Vet may also acquire an assignment of an Indian veteran's leasehold or beneficial interest in trust land for the purpose of entering into a contract with the Indian veteran for the construction of a home or installation of a manufactured home on the trust land.
3. If an applicant acquires fee title to the land upon which the home will be constructed prior to applying, ownership of the land must be conveyed to the department free and clear of all unacceptable liens and encumbrances and without any cost to the department prior to issuing Cal-Vet's Construction Loan Contract to the veteran. If the land is to remain encumbered, the beneficiary must subordinate their interest to the department, and the sum of the Cal-Vet loan plus other financing must not exceed 97% of the value of the land and proposed improvements.
4. Except for funds issued for the initial purchase of the land, in most cases no more than (5) progress payments will be made on the loan commitment. The department will authorize and direct disbursement of the progress payments as appropriate.
5. The structure must comply with the department's standards, based on FHA minimum property standards, the requirements of the Uniform Building code and/or the requirements of the local city or county building inspection department, whichever is more stringent.
6. The dwelling and other qualifying improvements must be constructed by a general building contractor who is bondable and licensed by the State of California. Owner builders must also have a California Class B General Building Contractor license.
7. Construction is to be completed within 270 days following issuance of an Authorization to Commence Construction form. Extensions of this time period may be granted only upon approval of the district manager.
8. Loan payments will commence after first disbursal of funds. During the construction stages, payments will include interest, insurance and taxes only. After completion, amortized payments will be collected.
9. The department’s master fire and hazard insurance policy will serve as course-of-construction hazard insurance during construction. In order to maintain low rates available under a group policy, some efforts to protect construction materials on site must be made. It will be required that materials be enclosed in a fenced area, locked container, or that someone reside on the property. If the subject is a manufactured home, course-of-construction insurance must be obtained through a private carrier.
10. The improvements must be constructed according to approved plans. If deviations occur, you must notify the department for approval of the changes.
11. A CLTA Policy of Title Insurance will be required through escrow. The policy must include a CLTA 101 Endorsement (priority endorsement). A CLTA 101.1 endorsement (Mechanics' Lien Endorsement) must be provided upon completion of construction and prior to issuance of the final construction draw. DO NOT MAKE ANY IMPROVEMENTS OF ANY KIND TO THE PROPERTY PRIOR TO RECORDATION OF THE DEPARTMENT'S LOAN CONTRACT AND THE BUILDING CONSTRUCTION CONTRACT.
Sheryl Arndt, Broker/Loan Officer Providing Agent/Broker services and home loans for: Los Angeles County, Agoura Hills, Alhambra, Arcadia, Artesia, Azusa, Baldwin Park, Bell, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Beverly Hills, Bradbury, Brentwood, Burbank, Calabasas, Carson, Cerritos, Claremont, Commerce, Compton, Covina, Cudahy, Culver City, Diamond Bar, Downey, Duarte, El Monte, El Segundo, Gardena, Glendale, Glendora, Hawaiian Gardens, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Hidden Hills, Huntington Park, Industry, Inglewood, Irwindale, La Canada-Flintridge, La Habra Heights, La Mirada, La Puente, La Verne, Lakewood, Lancaster, Lawndale, Lomita, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Lynwood, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Maywood, Monrovia, Montebello, Monterey Park, Norwalk, Palmdale, Palos Verdes Estates, Paramount, Pasadena, Pico Rivera, Pomona, Rancho Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, Rosemead, San Dimas, San Fernando, San Gabriel, San Marino, Santa Clarita, Santa Fe Springs, Santa Monica, Sierra Madre, Signal Hill, South El Monte, South Gate, South Pasadena, Temple City, Torrance, Vernon, Walnut, West Covina, West Hollywood, Westlake Village, Whittier, Madera County, Chowchilla, Madera, Marin County, Belvedere, Corte Madera, Fairfax, Larkspur, Mill Valley, Novato, Ross, San Anselmo, San Rafael, Sausalito, Tiburon, Mariposa County, Mendocino County, Fort Bragg, Point Arena, Ukiah, Willits, Merced County, Atwater, Dos Palos, Gustine, Livingston, Los Banos, Merced, Modoc County, Alturas, Mono County, Mammoth Lakes, Monterey County, Carmel, Del Rey Oaks, Gonzales, Greenfield, King City, Marina, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Salinas, Sand City, Seaside, Soledad, Napa County, American Canyon, Calistoga, Napa, St. Helena, Yountville, Nevada County, Grass Valley, Nevada City, Truckee, Orange County, Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Dana Point, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, La Habra, La Palma, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest, Los Alamitos, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Orange, Placentia, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin , Villa Park, Westminster, Yorba Linda, Placer County, Auburn, Colfax, Lincoln, Loomis, Rocklin, Roseville, Plumas County, Portola, San Bernardino County, Adelanto, Apple Valley, Barstow, Big Bear Lake, Chino, Chino Hills, Colton, Fontana, Grand Terrace, Hesperia, Highland, Loma Linda, Montclair, Needles, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Redlands, Rialto, San Bernardino, Twentynine Palms, Upland, Victorville, Yucaipa, Yucca Valley, Riverside County, Banning, Beaumont, Blythe, Calimesa, Canyon Lake, Cathedral City, Coachella, Corona, Desert Hot Springs, Hemet, Indian Wells, Indio, La Quinta, Lake Elsinore, Moreno Valley, Murrieta, Norco, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Perris, Rancho Mirage, Riverside, San Jacinto, Temecula, Placer County, Auburn, Colfax, Lincoln, Loomis, Rocklin, Roseville, Sacramento County, Folsom, Galt, Isleton, Sacramento, San Benito County, Hollister, San Juan Bautista, San Diego County, Carlsbad, Chula Vista, Coronado, Del Mar, El Cajon, Encinitas, Escondido, Imperial Beach, La Mesa, Lemon Grove, National City, Oceanside, Poway. San Diego, San Marcos, Santee, Solana Beach, Vista, San Francisco County, San Francisco, San Joaquin County, Escalon, Lathrop, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton, Tracy, San Luis Obispo County, Arroyo Grande, Atascadero, Grover Beach, Morro Bay, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo County, Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Pacifica, Portola Valley, Redwood City, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, Woodside, Santa Barbara County, Buellton, Carpinteria, Guadalupe, Lompoc, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Solvang, Santa Clara County, Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Milpitas, Monte Sereno, Morgan Hill, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, Santa Cruz County, Capitola, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Watsonville, Shasta County, Anderson, Redding, Shasta Lake, Sierra County, Loyalton, Siskiyou County, Dorris, Dunsmuir, Etna, Fort Jones, Montague, Mount Shasta, Tulelake, Weed, Yreka, Solano County, Benicia, Dixon, Fairfield, Rio Vista, Suisun City, Vacaville, Vallejo, Sonoma County, Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, Sonoma, Windsor , Stanislaus County, Ceres, Hughson, Modesto, Newman, Oakdale, Patterson, Riverbank, Turlock, Waterford, Sutter County, Live Oak, Yuba City, Tehama County, Corning, Red Bluff, Tehama, Trinity County, Tulare County, Dinuba, Exeter, Farmersville, Lindsay, Porterville, Tulare County, Tulare, Visalia, Woodlake, Tuolumne County, Sonora, Ventura County, Camarillo, Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Santa Paula, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Ventura, Yolo County, Davis, West Sacramento, Winters, Woodland, Yuba County, Marysville, Wheatland, Alameda County, Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Dublin, Emeryville, Fremont, Hayward, Livermore, Newark, Oakland, Piedmont, Pleasanton, San Leandro, Union City, Alpine County, Amador County, Amador City, Ione, Jackson, Plymouth, Sutter Creek, Butte County, Chico, Gridley, Oroville, Paradise, Calaveras County, Angels Camp, Valley Springs, Colusa County, Colusa, Williams, Contra Costa County, Antioch, Brentwood, Clayton, Concord, Danville, El Cerrito, Hercules, Lafayette, Martinez, Moraga, Orinda, Pinole, Pittsburg, Pleasant Hill, Richmond, San Pablo, San Ramon, Walnut Creek, Del Norte County, Crescent City, El Dorado County, Placerville, South Lake Tahoe, Fresno County, Clovis, Coalinga, Firebaugh, Fowler, Fresno, Huron, Kerman, Kingsburg, Mendota, Orange Cove, Parlier, Reedley, San Joaquin, Sanger, Selma, Glenn County, Orland, Willows, Humboldt County, Arcata, Blue Lake, Eureka, Ferndale, Fortuna, Rio Dell, Trinidad, Imperial County, Brawley, Calexico, Calipatria, El Centro, Holtville, Westmorland, Inyo County, Bishop, Kern County, Arvin, Bakersfield, California City, Delano, Kern County, Maricopa, McFarland, Ridgecrest, Shafter, Taft, Tehachapi, Wasco, Kings County, Avenal, Corcoran, Hanford, Lemoore, Lake County, Clearlake, Lakeport, Lassen County, Susanville,